But since I know that I can't rely on those Eureka moments to happen by themselves, I surround myself with tools, resources, and strategies to spur, prolong, or capitalize on various forms of creativity. By courting creativity, I find that those moments of inspiration tap me on the shoulder more frequently but just as delightfully.
I would have thought that the corporate culture of Anheuser-Busch would be a bit laid back…(don't they basically try to relax people for a living?) But Doug found out when consulting for their top research and marketing executives that this is basically the opposite of their reality. So, his whoopee cushion bit became that much more brave. While wearing a strait jacket (right?) and lecturing about the dangers of the necktie, Doug presented a medical device that would help expel the hot air trapped dangerously by their ties. That medical device? You guessed it - the whoopee cushion. (Great story...but let's just say I won't be using that method anytime soon:)
- Inhale the contents of a helium balloon, then abuse your company's intercom system.
- Climb a tree.
- Fly a kite. Pretend you're the kite.
- Hang by your knees from monkey bars.
- Roll down a hill.
- Swing as high as you can.
- Write a letter in crayon.
- Visit a fun house.
- Play catch in the office or in the hallway.
- Go wading.
- Make a dart board of negative thoughts and shoot them.
- Throw water balloons, shoot squirt guns, get wet.
- Spin until dizzy.
- Hold a pie-eating contest with yourself.
- Assemble a company kazoo band.
And just like my confession about the bouncy ball (or the slideshow of my brother's and my crazy antics below), sometimes you have to take the risk of feeling, looking, or being silly in pursuit of creativity. I hope you do all three...
- Kayak Typwriter Photo Credit: http://www.etsy.com/listing/47117424/kayak-photograph-antique-typewriter
- Guy Monkeying Around Photo Credit: http://m.active.com/fitness/Articles/Playground-Fitness-6-Cross-Training-Games.htm?cmp=17-7-4122
- Henri Matisse Chalkboard Photo Credit: http://scrapstudio.tumblr.com/post/394198817/p-s-from-my-archived-files-if-you-know-who-this
- Girl Watercoloring in the Rain Photo Credit: http://littlepageturners.blogspot.com/2010/05/rainy-day.html
- Happy Skating Little Girl Photo Credit: http://elviestudio.blogspot.com
- Nick & Megan Hendrix Playing with Toys Photo Credit: Hendrix Family Archives:)